Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Question about bounce rate differences in a cross-domain view vs. a filtered section view

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In my company's Google Analytics setup, we are using Google Tag Manager, and have cross-domain tracking set up. Our account was set up with a single property that tracks about 6 separate domains. We have what we call "cross-domain views" which show all of these domains, and then we have views for each of the domains, and then "section views" for just a part of one of the domains (e.g., a view that tracks www.company.com and www.seconddomain.com, etc. -- our "cross-domain view", then a view for just "www.company.com", and then separate views for www.company.com/directory1, www.company.com/directory2 (our "section views").

My question concerns bounce rate. Is the bounce rate higher for a page when looking at a section view, since a user could be linking from that particular filtered view to something outside of the filtered view (e.g., a user links from www.company.com/directory1 over to www.company.com/directory2) -- So, if a user "leaves" a section view and links over to a different section view, does that count as a bounce in the original section view, whereas in the cross-domain type view, it wouldn't? (Note, we do have outbound link events, but they are set to non-interaction).

It's hard to find a definitive answer on this!

thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian E A
May 2016

Re: Question about bounce rate differences in a cross-domain view vs. a filtered section view

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

to my understanding session does not break, filter just cleans out the unwanted hits. So quick answer is no, bounce rate should not be affected.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Re: Question about bounce rate differences in a cross-domain view vs. a filtered section view

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Antti... that makes sense... I really appreciate your insight! I hope to hear what others think too... it's been a topic of confusion for me, especially when I have noticed the bounce rate for pages being higher in the "section filtered" views as opposed to the cross-domain views (so, I guess this might be attributed to something else, not from leaving a filtered view to go to another filtered view).