Analytics
3.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Querying 'ga:interestAffinityCategory' and 'ga:interestInMarketCategor' together

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Using the Query Explorer, I'm trying to query -

- 'ga:interestAffinityCategory'

-'ga:interestInMarketCategory'

- 'ga:sessions'

However I'm getting an error of "Selected dimensions and measurements cannot be queried together".

I've tried numerous measurements and got the same error, querying either of the dimensions individually works fine.

Couldn't find any reference of limitations on querying both of these together, neither in the Dimensions & Metrics Explorer nor in different forums.

Is there a reason that I can't execute it?

Thanks,

Alon

1 Expert replyverified_user

Querying 'ga:interestAffinityCategory' and 'ga:interestInMarketCategor' together

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Alon,

Those dimensions aren't combine-able.  They are apples and oranges; cats and dogs, etc etc.  Smiley Happy

You can query each one of them independently with sessions but you can't get affinity and in market as a secondary dimension with it's related breakouts.  They are simply two separate things and are not related.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!

Alon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

May I ask - when picking both of the dimensions in the GA API Explorer, none of them is grayed out.

Isn't it supposed to show me that I cannot query them together? I'd expect a different behavior.

I've had another similar issue with the dimensions ga:dcmClickSiteId, ga:dcmClickSite and the metric ga:dcmFloodlightQuantity, all of them are allowed to be queried together according to the Explorer, but prompting the described error.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hey Alon,

You are exactly correct. They are supposed to exclude each other when not compatible.  I'm going to add that in to the issues list.  What's odd is that they actually let you do this in the UI but the data is garbage (e.g. 2MM sessions breakout to 20MM sessions) so I'm not sure if this is an API V4 correction.   Mysterious....

-Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn