Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Queries "Not Set"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I recently set up Google Analytics for a charity I'm involved with http://www.faithincommunityscotland.org/

I linked it with the Search Console so that people only needed to go to one place to see what was going on. But when I go into queries to see what searches are bringing people to us 70% of the clicks we are receiving are showing as "not set". 

I've given it a google and a lot of the reasons I can find are to do with adwords, which we're not using. The other explanation being using the old urchin(?) tracking code - although as I've only just done this I'm assuming this isn't the issue.

Any help or advice on what I'm doing wrong would be very gratefully received. I can't really draw any conclusions about what we need to do when I'm missing more than 2/3rds of the data.

Thanks

Chris    

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Queries "Not Set"?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I supose the right answer is in the GA help article.

But there is some inconsistency in article and report data.

I'm talking about this part:

To protect user privacy, queries that are made infrequently or that contain sensitive or personal information are grouped together as (other)

But in reports it takes "(not set)".

Probably it's the same thing, but I could be wrong.

Queries "Not Set"?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

Google Search Console calculates differently than Google Analytics, please check the article below for an explanation:

http://www.analyticsedge.com/2015/10/google-analytics-assigns-not-set-to-missing-data/

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Queries "Not Set"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Poma, Arnold, 

Thank you very much for your feedback I've read the stuff that you've suggested and can I just repeat back you you what I understand to be the case so I can be 100% sure that I am following? 

For all the stuff that people searched that are unusual search terms or "personal information" (although I can see when people have searched for the charity's staff by name) this is combined into one "other" term that displays as (not set). 

From what Arnold is saying though - this has always been the case it is only when you move into looking at GA rather than Search Console that it becomes apparent. 

As this is always the case I should just ignore the (not set) data set and just run off of the information I have. 

Queries "Not Set"?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

It's like this since the Search Queries report was replaced with the Search Analytics report in 2015. Here is a longer article about it:

http://dittodigital.co.uk/not-set-on-google-analytics-queries-report/

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital