Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Proper Way to Report Custom Data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I am very new to GA, so I apologize if my questions are silly.

I have just configured my web app in GA, but I want to use custom analytics to drill it down further. I have two values:

Current Average (0-100)

Final Weight (0-100)

I want to report and breakdown the most popular results. For example, current average could be 90, 88, 95, etc... and Final Weight could be 10, 15, 12, etc..

As of right now I have this in my web app code

ga('set', 'metric1', data['currentAverage']);

ga('set', 'metric2', data['finalWeight']);

and they are set as metrics. How would I go about implementing this correctly to yield the results I want?

I simply have my main dashboard with widgets for each one with the dimension being by week of the year and metric each one respectively. However, I would like it to be broken down by the most popular results as mentioned above with the default being a running total and the oppertunity to break it down by week, day, etc.

Thank you so much in advance! I have been trying to read tutorials for hours, but I learn by applying stuff to what I have, and I feel once I have this explained I will have a guideline to learn the rest about GA. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Proper Way to Report Custom Data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

for your case it would be better to use custom dimensions as this current approach will just sum up all of the metrics sent for a dimension value you are using. Metrics act as simple counters so in that context you can use it but would need a unique dimension such as client Id and session # to be able to properly use it / report it.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net