Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Problems with Self Referrals

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum, answered by John Wedderburn (Rising Star)

Question: Hi, I have two view setup for a campaign (Desktop version + Mobile version) however, sometimes there is a huge self referral cropping in Google Analytics account. In order to rectify this issue I have added the parent domain in Referral Exclusion List in Google Analytics still the data is shown in Referral Report. Our campaign uses ga.js version of tracking code & at present this is being fired using GTM.

I've checked with the tracking code on the both versions but couldn't find any error in the tracking code. Can somebody help me out with probable reasons for self referrals cropping in the data being tracked?

Answer: Previous visitors to the site, whose session was attributed to a self referral, will continue to show up as such - when they return - until they use a different campaign source/medium to reach the site. What you should find is that, over time, the number of self referrals should decline.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problems with Self Referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
A good way to check this is by using the Real Time analytics option on yourself with a fresh cookie to ensure it's working.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

Just check for the code u have tagged your pages with. is it universal ( analytics.js ) or classic ( ga.js) ?
If it is universal , you can simply filter out the self referrals by Admin>tracking info>referral exclusion list and add the sub domain name in the list.

And if it classic, you can add a code in your analytics snippet , shown below -
_gaq.push(['_addIgnoredRef ', ' domain.tld'])

Hope it helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Farat, I am facing the same issue but for my mobile app. I don't have site only mobile app but in GA reports showing session for all over the world but app is only for specific country. How this can be happen?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Test A

This is likely a referral/analytics spam issue. Have a look at the sticky about this topic and the suggested steps to filter out referral spam and ghost traffic.