Analytics
6.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Problem with creating Analytics report in Spreadsheets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I want to set up a report in Google Spreadsheets from Google Analytics that will show the total amount of referral sessions.

Whatever I've tried, only one month is showing the accurate number. 

The rest of the month's numbers in Analytics are not equal to the number that shows in Spreadsheets.

I've used the following set-up:

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.48.43.png

What else can I do to make sure the numbers are correct in Spreadsheet as they are shown in Analytics?

If you need any other information, please let me know!

Thank you in advance!

Hanneke Hendriks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sounds like you may have a sampling problem. As you increase the date range, too many sessions may exist in the time period and so Google will sample the sessions and produce a sampled report. These can be horribly wrong if you are looking for a low volume with a specific combination of dimensions.  

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

As Mike S, this sounds like sampling. Check in the report results in Google Sheets - there's a field which says whether sampling is true|false and what percentage of the data is being used. I've battled with this problem in the past and there are - happily - solutions out there. If this is the problem post here and we'll help out.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Mike S. and John W.,

Thank you for your reply!

And you are right, it does apply a sampling filter.

How can I solve this problem?

Hope you can help me!

Thank you!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

quick answer - http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/24/solutions-google-analytics-sampling-problems-8-ways-data/ Solution 8, stitching together smaller date range requests to the API, can be fast way to get around this

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much John!

However, I have 3 property's of which I want to create a report, per month.

That means I already have 72 tabs in one spreadsheet, which would again massively increase if I have to smaller the date ranges.

That would give 12 tabs per month, resulting in 144 tabs in one spreadsheet.

What's strange, is that January is working fine, but the problem starts in February, while there is not a big difference in the number of sessions and referral sessions.
I really hope there is a different solution that will enable fewer tabs.

Again, thank you so so much for your advice and tips!!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

If you have a PC and Microsoft Excel, you could use the Analytics Edge free add-in and connector which has a 'minimize sampling' option that can do the multiple queries thing for you. If you want to stay in Sheets, you can have a look at Supermetrics, but I am not sure whether the free license would work for you. I remember there being something for R as well, but you'd have to search for it.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor