Analytics
6.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Problem with Source/Medium

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

we have a page which you can access through a referral, direct or organic. We have implemented user Id and we have 3 demo users.

We do the same use case for the three users: enter to portal through the page www.myreferralpage.com and we click in the icon of the site. It is a referral, evidently.

The results in Google Analytics are: one user is recognized like direct, other user like referral and the last one like organic.

Anybody knows what is happened?

Thank so much.

Regards,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problem with Source/Medium

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Beatriz,

I would test again using a fresh browser session and incognito mode. If the users came to the test site directly or organically then followed the referral path while the session was still active, the source / medium would not get overwritten.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

I tried to delete cookies, a fresh browser session, etc., and the result is the same.

In addition, when I do F5, Google Analytics recognize this session like the last session. For example, if my last session is referral, when I do F5, the new session is referral. It is wrong, it must be direct.

Do you know the problem?

Thanks so much.

Regards,
Beatriz

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Beatriz,

Direct will never overwrite any other campaign source. Referral will also not overwrite any other source --IF it occurs while the session is still active. Using incognito mode or another browser will help keep everything clean.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn