Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Problem with Analysis of Pages: "/(.external)/"

Rup
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Rup
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everybody,

I hope you can help me with that.

Beginning of 2015 I took over the content managment of an already existing website.

As far as i know there have not been a lot of technical changes in the last two or three years.

Today I started to gather the statistics for 2015. First i was happy, when I found out that there has been a big increase (35%) of page visitis compared to 2014.

I then checked the content the visitors used - and found out, that there are a lot of stranges entries in the content sections of GA. Apparantly many if not all of my pages are listed twice:

1. in a standard style, with all standard statistics.

2. like this: "/(.external)/"existing URL on my website".

For those pages there are no statistics available except page visits.

The amount of page visits is different for both versions and I have found no connection between the numbers. But in general you can say: the more page visits the right URL had, the more the "/(.external)/" also had.

Some "/(.external)/" have always been on the website but in April 2015 it really started to get big. And when I compared the statistics i found out that those "/(.external)/" pages have more or less the same number as the overall increase in page visits. So there is no real success i can report :-) - but can I at least deliver a solution/explanation

Can you explain to me the problem behind this?

PS: The CMS is Typo3

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problem with Analysis of Pages: "/(.external)/"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rup,

there are a couple of things you could check in order to see what is causing this:
1. Check on your site if there is any override to how you send pageviews ga('send', 'pageview', 'if you can find external here');
2. Check your view filters if these have some Request URI field overwrites
3. Check your view settings if something like Default page field is filled or not (it usually should not be)

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net