Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Previous Page Path -> Page Path - Difference between Unique and Total pageviews

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A All Pages report with Previous Page Path as a second dimension gives different Pageviews and Unique Pageviews count. At first is seems fairly understandable, I'd figure Unique PV would mean session in which that flow has taken place while Total PV would mean the all times it happened.

But then there are a relevant rows count of 0 Unique PVs for a high Total PV count.

What does Unique PV means then?

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Just move the mouse over the '?' next to column title in GA reports to see the definition.

Pageviews is the total number of pages viewed. Repeated views of a single page are counted.

Unique Pageviews is the number of sessions during which the specified page was viewed at least once. A unique pageview is counted for each page URL + page Title combination.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1257084?hl=en#pageviews_vs_unique_views

http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/google-analytics-views-vs-unique-views-3472.html

This self-promotional signature has been removed by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines. Repeated violations may result in suspension from the Advertiser Community.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand these concepts in general, but the Page Path report with Previous Page Path as a second dimension shows a whole bunch of 0 Unique PV which would mean there were no sessions that had that flow, but it can't be or else there wouldn't even be 1 PV.

My question is what those 0 PVs mean.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Felipe,

I ran into the exact same question as you. I think that in the specific case of looking at previous page paths for unique page views, the most recent Previous page path of that session for that page is picked. I do not know this for certain, but it seems to be this way.