Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Previous Page Path and source / medium figures don't make sense

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a page on our website which used to feature prominently in our navigation. We removed it (long story!). I wanted to check before the change how customers were getting to it then compare afterwards. So I checked the Source / Medium and find Google search to this page > 785. Then I check navigation summary and find 

Home to this page > 707 

The total page views in this period was 1,387

Forgetting all other navigation routes, these two figures on their own do not make sense.

On one hand I am seeing customers getting to the page from the navigation on the home page, then another report is telling me they are getting their via Google search.

Any help is greatly appreciated in making sense of this.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's not obvious based on what you wrote whether coming from the homepage and Google Search are mutually exclusive. Your description seems to show that there is a possibility people could have came to the site from google search, landed on your homepage, and then went to the page in question. In this case, they would be double counted in your analysis.

Please clarify how you segmented out people who came from google vs came from the homepage. For example, are you looking at landing pages only? Are you using a sequence?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I go to the Behaviour > All pages > Advanced filter to only show the page which is www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/health-social-care/support/assessment.aspx. I then click on Secondary dimension Source / Medium. That shows 58% of traffic from Google / Organic. I then go to Navigation Summary and find 707 previous page being the home page. It looks like in some way I am not comparing correctly / using the right report, hence the double counting. I'm not sure the best report to pull to show of all the page traffic, what came from where.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looking at the all pages report with a source/medium of google organic will give you all the pageviews of anyone who came from google. For example, if someone came from google's SERP, landed on your homepage, and then went to page #2. Both the homepage and Page 2 will show up in the all pages report. This is because source/medium is a session level dimension, while page is a page level dimension.

To be honest, I'm a little confused about what you're trying to measure. It looks like you're comparing people who came from google organic (a channel), and people who came from the homepage (a page). It would make more sense to compare apples to apples and look at people who came from google organic vs other channels (primary dimension = default channel grouping). Or to run sequences to check which pages on the site (if any) led to people seeing the removed page in question. To do this, you first need to look at the landing page report, and see how many people landed there directly (and record the sessions), then create custom segments (with sequences) that show the traffic from all previous pages that could have went to the removed page. For example, if it's possible to go to the removed page from your homepage, then you would make a sequence segment that says [page exactly matches /] immediately followed by [page contains {removed page url}. Make sure you DON'T use landing page for these sequences. Keep in mind that this won't be 100% accurate as well because sequences catch any user interaction that matched. For example, if someone went from the homepage to page 1, then back to the homepage, then to page 2. It would show up in a sequence for both homepage immediately to page 1 AND homepage immediately to page 2 (double counting). This was obviously very confusing, and unless you have in depth experience with GA, it'll probably be hard to understand. Let me know if something wasn't clear.