Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Possible GA Pageview Reporting Accuracy Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

According to Google Analytics a website I work on gets around 2 million pageviews per month. We recently installed a new Facebook custom audience pixel, which also tracks pageviews, and noticed that Facebook was reporting 40% more pageviews than GA. It seems like the biggest variance is on high traffic pages while low traffic pages seem to match up with. 

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this discrepancy? GA and the Facebook pixel are implemented through the Google tag manager on all pages so that's probably not the issue. Any insights on this would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Edward p
November 2015

Re: Possible GA Pageview Reporting Accuracy Issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Edward,
I've not seen this and we use the FB pixel a lot too. However, it's important to understand that GA and FB will not track the same. Their collection methods are different I believe. Also, you have to remember that GA uses sampled data for reports, especially for higher traffic sites. I'd say that this is the likely culprit.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en