Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Position based attribution?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I have been asking a lot of questions lately about attribution - I think I've decided on using the position based model.

I don't know how to work out the percentages of different steps though.

Some of my conversion oaths have up to 10 paths..

So far, I have

2 step - 50/50

3 step - 40/20/40

4 step - 40/10/10/10/40

Once I get to 5 step I'm stuck...can anyone help me, I can't find anything online about how to do this?

Thanks

Laura

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Position based attribution?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There are various approaches @LauraBburn. For example:

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 09.33.54.png

You could assign 20/20/20/20/20 or 35/10/10/10/35 and see what makes sense. Your assigned value always have to add up to 100% though, so your example of 40/10/10/10/40 needs adjusted.

The idea is as follows: a conversion consists of some path. If a prospect took 3 steps (or 13) to convert, during your analysis you can decide how to attribute value to each step. Whether all steps are equally important in the process, or maybe middle steps are just a few reminders to stay on the buyers radar, but really first click wins their attention and last click wins the sale. Attribution of value to various steps on the path to conversion allows to assign a value to middle-of-the-sales-funnel efforts. As a marketer, you need to figure out how important those "middle" steps are to your product/service, and adjust expectations and budget accordingly. So if you value EVERY step then, assign equal value 100%/# of steps. If your product/service is an impulse purchase, your last step may be the most important one, etc.

To put this into perspective, here is an example. How to perform attribution modeling when first click was on a paid AdWords ad, and subsequent click (maybe more than one) were acquired organically and last via social channels (paid again). Attribution modeling helps understand that 1st click was super important, and you may have not gotten any subsequent clicks if it wasn't for that one. But at the same time, you wouldn't have closed a prospect into a sale/lead, if it wasn't for that last (paid social) click. In addition, the "organic" (brand search on Google.com) click in the middle helped deliver all the additional information to the prospects as they were comparing your product/service against competition, and deciding for, or against your brand, and is also extremely important. In that case scenario I'd assign 33.3% to each step in the conversion path. 

Hope this helps

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Julia,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm trying to determine which channels contributed to which other channels...so how many transactions did paid assist organic with and how much value does that equate to? And then the same for all other channels?

When I just look at the Model Comparison Tool and select the Position Based model, it just gives an overview with no detail.....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
While somewhat limited, GA is the best place where you can see lots (not all) data collected, attributed (somewhat) and matched. Many supplement with their own back end data, and 3rd party data, matching IPs to behavior or purchase history, etc, which is not allowed in GA anymore. What I do now, is I check first vs last vs equally spread out attribution and decide which model is best applicable for which client. Some have a very very long purchase consideration path, others retail quick-decision product/service. Your attribution model will largely depend on your sales cycle. Compare how much 1st click vs Last changes your values. Do you have goal values assigned in GA, @LauraBburn? That's an important piece of data to have, which helps the analysis a lot.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Laura, I believe the % value you can assign to each position in the attribution (if you chose position-based attribution) is purely arbitrary.

However if you want to make this logically and mathematically consistent, one model is to apply geometric progression (or rather a regression in our case because the multiplier will be less than zero) to the sum of the first and last iterations - once every additional step in between them is added.

Then deduct this amount from 100 (total value) and divide the resulting number by the # of other steps (not first and last) to assign each of the middle steps equal value.

With every , starting with 3, we will discount first and last by 10%, and this would result for example in this:

2 steps: 50/50
3 steps: 45/10/45 (50 * 0.9 = 45)
4 steps: 40.5/9.5/9.5/40.5
(45*0.9 = 40.5, (100-40.5*2)/2 - divided equally between 2 because there are 2 steps in between first and last now)
5 steps : 36.45/9.03/9.03/9.03/36.45
6 steps: 29.52/8.19/8.19/8.19/8.19/29.52
etc.
You can work it down in excel to as many steps as you want. It's not perfect for dozens of steps but up to 10 it makes sense Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Laura, is it possible you're looking more for the "assisted conversions" report in the multi-channel funnels in GA rather than the position based attribution? Here is an example:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 23.02.06.png

Julia Muller,

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
HI Julia,

Yes I think it is, I've been playing around with this report.

Ideally I'd like a summary of it - so you could work out the % of transactions and revenue one channel contributed to another - at the moment I'm going through it myself trying to reach this point - its going to take a lot of manual work - do you know if there is an easier way of doing this?

Thanks again for your help Smiley Happy
Laura

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I think this report is quite close to best approximation of assist value. IMO channels do not assist each other, but rather assist on the path of conversion. In the example screen grab I posted above, it appears that none of the major producing channels are assist channels. They seem to be equally important steps on the path to purchase.

I can see massaging this data further in a spreadsheet format to create assist indexes, but I wouldn't attempt that without causation vs correlation analytics.

Maine thing to learn from this IMO is that prospects convert by the means of short interactions via various channels, I believe I heard on a recent Google Partner Agencies HoA a recent stats in the magnitude of 13 brand interactions on average before purchasing. Depending on the length of a sales cycle of course.

I can't think of any other reports that may help more. But it doesn't mean they don't exist Smiley Wink Keep looking, Laura.

Julia Muller,