Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Poor location tracking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've implemented GA into my app which is still in development and has not been published. I work for a company located in Northern Europe.

Looking at the locations for my sessions, it's all over the place; I'm seeing several sessions from Russia, US, Australia, South America, etc.

We have no employees working in other countries and I don't use any sort of address masking software.

Sufficed to say, I am confused and worried; either our app has been nicked for whatever reason or GA is grossly inaccurate and can not be relied upon. Is this their only issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Poor location tracking?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
There are several possibilities one you could be receiving visitors from those locations, two you could be getting spam, three the IP addresses that those users are using could be indicating they are from foreign countries when they are in fact not, the users could be coming through a proxy server which assigns a random ip, the user could be getting routed to different locations and the ip could be reassigned at some point. You would need to do more analysis to determine the cause and then there is always the possibility that your have something wrong in your applications code that is cofusing GA. You can see if it is spam by looking at the host name associated withose locations sessions if the host name is not your website then it is probally spam.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are NO other users. The application is not published. There are also NO other devs working on it but me.

We build the app through a cloud service. Could that be causing it?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I am not familar with developing through a cloud service so I can not answer that, I am still leaning towards spam at this point. It is rather easy to spam an account all you need is a basic understanding of the measurement protocol and a beginners understanding of programming.