Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Please help me understand subdomain and referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

This issue pertains our website www.example.com and a subdomain blog.example.com

A few weeks back there was an issue with blog.example.com, where we had to re-enter the Universal GA tracking code, since then our referral list no longer includes any data coming from blog.example.com when in the past it did. How can we see the traffic coming only from this subdomain to our domain www.example.com? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Please help me understand subdomain and referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Liza,

Usually we want to achieve the opposite, to exclude these self referrals and to have the real referrals instead.

Please check if you have your domain name added to the referral exclusion list in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Referral Exclusion List. Traffic from domains added to this list will not trigger a new session. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Arnold,

Thanks for the quick response. I've checked and it is not excluded. Would excluding example.com automatically exclude anything from blog.example.com?

Since best practice is to exclude these self-referrals, how can we configure our report so we can see how many sessions are actually coming from blog.example.com?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Liza,

Adding the main domain excludes the subdomain as referral too.
If you want to track the subdomain as a referrer you need to remove the main domain from the referral exclusion list.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the clarification.

Say, we exclude the main domain so every subdomain is excluded. How would we go about tracking traffic from each subdomain, to see which ones are performing if we cannot differentiate them (without tracking them as a referrer) is there another solution?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

You can set up a filter to include the full domain in the reports.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

I'd recommend to create a new view and set up the filter on in first. Apply it to your main view when you're satisfied with the results.