Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Please better-define the metric "organic searches"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Could someone please read the text below, and answer each of these 3 questions:

1. what is the data source of the metric "organic searches?

2. what is the definition of a "session" in the definition of "organic searches"? (GA session? something else?)

3. what exactly is the metric "organic searches" reporting on?

The existing definition of the metric "organic searches" in GA documentation is unclear and needs clarification; especially because of the use of the phrase "within a session" makes it sound like a GA session has started, and some organic search happened during that session... very confusing.

The GA documentation shows the definition as:

Organic Searches

The number of organic searches that happened within a session. This metric is search engine agnostic.

"...within a session." - does this mean within a Google Analytics session?

When I try to align this metric in a report alongside sessions, users, it doesn't align with existing metrics.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Please better-define the metric "organic searches"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dave,

would like to know that as wellSmiley Happy A theory would be that this metric does not work as planned after the switch to universal session / traffic handling - but that is just a guess.

A session is a session and it should always be seen as a GA session so to interpret there could be (could have been) more than 1 organic searches within a GA session (pogo sticking?).

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Zorin.

Is there an official GA person on this forum who knows what the answer really is and can provide it, please?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sent some feedback requests - will update as soon as I get some clarification.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you, Zorin.

When you say you "sent some feedback requests" - I'm curious, to whom was that sent and how?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi David,

if you ask if I sent it to a analytics support email - I did not as I am not aware a thing like that existsSmiley Happy Just some people which may have the answer needed.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ah, I see - thanks for that clarification.

I also have a request out and will add info here if / as appropriate.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Does anybody have any news on this?
Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Organic Searches Metric is always well under the number of my Channel Source of Organic Traffic Sessions. Without realizing there (must be) is a difference, I created dashboard reports using "organic searches" as a metric (as it's the only Organic option for my charts) and I've been reporting conflicting data (and much lower numbers). Is there an update on this thread to answer the question of what the difference is? Thanks.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have been going back and forth with Google Support on this. Here is the most detailed answer I have received so far but I'm asking one more clarification question and will report back to the group.

Organic as a source in the "Medium" reports shows the total number of sessions for the source "Organic". Where as, the "Organic searches" in the Overview report shows the total organic searches occurred in a session, i.e the no.of unique sessions with "organic as a source". "With in a session" means a unique session with Organic search. In this case, 2,539 users had organic searches in only 1 session. On the other hand, there were 71,201 sessions overall with "organic" as source. This number is an aggregate of the over all sessions, which may include the session started after the 29 mins of the previous session, etc.