AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Pinterest and Analytics discrepancy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pinterest is charging me for 3370 clicks. Analytics says I've got 2454 sessions attributed to pinterest/referral and 1360 sessions attributed to pinterest/social. 

I can't find any info anywhere about how these get attributed. On Pinterest's side they say "The number of visits to your website that come directly from your Promoted Pins (these are the only clicks you pay for)." However, only 2454 sessions are tagged as "referral" medium, not 3370. Anyone know what's going on? It could be something on Pinterest's side where they attribute a social click to a paid impression that was seen recently or something like that, but for a few hundred bucks a month I don't want to have to speculate. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pinterest and Analytics discrepancy.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
I'm not familiar with pinterest advertising, so i wont be much help with your question. sorry
Out of curiosity though, are you able to add campaign tracking parameters to promoted pins?

Also bare in mind too, that clicks on an ad or similar. are not the same thing as a visit to a page.
Two different things are being measured by two different tracking systems.
Eg I'm on pinterest, i click on your promoted pin 3 times within the space of say 15mins = 3 clicks
BUT.. when i arrive at your website. 

if i dont allow GA tracking for example then GA is not going to see my visit
If i do allow GA tracking.. then It will likely get seen as one session with say 3 pageviews referred from Pinterest.
and just to throw something else into the mix.. can those promoted pins get shared by users on pinterest and if so,

then how are they then tracked?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That definitely makes sense - the thing I'm trying to rectify is that pinterest says that they aren't charging for actual clicks but for visits to our website. I can add campaign tracking parameters to pinterest ads, but they are pinterest tracking parameters, not google analytics parameters. So, I'm still left with a situation where pinterest is charging for 1000 more clicks a month than what I can verify through other analytic sources.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Nate :-)

Is it an engagement or traffic campaign?

Something else that also needs to be taken into account.. 
GA uses last click attribution.. Pinterest doesnt -

My data doesn’t match what I’m seeing in other reports
Make sure your conversion tag’s on the right page. For example, if you’re trying to track purchases, make sure it’s on your order confirmation page, not the product page. 

If you’re still having problems, check that your 3rd party reports aren’t only measuring last click conversions. If so, the 3rd party report won’t give credit for: 
  • Conversions that came from views (like people who viewed your ads but didn’t click on them)
  • Ads that people engaged with earlier in the purchase funnel
  • Instances where somebody sees or engages with your ads on one device, then converts on a different device. 
Finally, keep in mind that Pinterest’s conversion data is based on when the action on Pinterest happened. If your 3rd party reports are based on when the conversion happened instead, you won’t see any earlier conversions that took place within your attribution window. 

I'm assuming then, that you do have pinterest conversion tracking code installed on the website, is that correct?

Regarding campaign tracking parameters, you can use a plugin and configure it to use Pinterest campaign parameters so that Googele Analytics recognizes them too. The example Campaign Loader in the dev docs will help you with this

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/writing-plugins#examples

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have picked this apart pretty thoroughly - last click attribution, conversion tags, pinterest tracking codes, other attribution issues, etc, etc,. I don't need a primer on the basics of setting up advertising and analytics reports.

The data I need is which url parameters is google using to count traffic as coming from a referral medium vs. a social medium. Pinterest is apparently only charging for the VISITS that go to my site. Is a visit a page view, is a visit a unique visitor? That doesn't matter right now, i'll have to work with pinterest on that definition. I know enough about GA to know what numbers I'm looking at in terms of page views, attribution, unique users etc. For example, I know I'm getting 5000 unique users coming from pinterest over a specified time frame. GA says that 3000 have come from a pinterest/referral and 2000 have come from pinterest/social. Pinterest is charging me for 4000 unique visitors to the site after clicking on my ads. Is pinterest charging me for organic traffic? I don't know until I can figure out what parameters GA is using to attribute traffic to a referral medium or a social medium.