Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Paid search stats while not having had a campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

While I m not running a campaign (never had for this site), I see 15% of Schermafbeelding 2016-12-11 om 20.30.47.pngtraffic coming from paid search. How s that possible? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I suspect that, at some point in the past, there has been a paid search campaign targeting your site. Some of the returning visitors, who came from that campaign, have not changed their campaign i.e. they are returning via direct. Therefore, they show up as the original campaign source, paid search.

Check to see if there are any connected adwords accounts. If so, and they are actually active, check to see what they have as landing pages. My suspicion is that they will almost all be returning visitors, however.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If you've never had a Paid Search campaign then it could be SPAM.  Check the Acquisition source/medium reports to see how this channel behaves.  

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

good call - check for 100% bounce rates and single page visits; though spam appearing as page search is not that usual in my experience (i.e. spammers don't usually pay for traffic!

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

True but spammers do include utm_source codes to give the illusion of Paid Search.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That's what I thought too. However, in my case, I noticed different things:

1. In All traffic - Channels, it shows 20 sessions paid search. So, click to that, choose primary dimension as Landing pages, it shows the first 15 sessions landed to the pages which weren't in my Adwords campaign.

2. Then check in All traffic - Source/Medium, it shows 35 sessions from google/cpc. And again, the landing pages are different than in my AdWords campaign.

So, why those sessions numbers are different?

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi you all! I already found out through a person working with Google., Het told me that it refers to my paid Facebook campaign..