Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Pageviews of an article doesn't match the number of times an article is read

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have implemented Universal Analytics tracking code in a wordpress website.When I see the page view of an article in Analytics, lets say A1 article page has 3000 pageviews. 

We are counting the number of times an article is read using script, to show the most read article. When I see the number times a article A1 is read, the count is 21000 times. 

It is 7 times more. Why is this difference? Is there any setting we need to implement? Please help.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

How the script counts your views is the main question( how it works?).Page view only occur when the GA code fires on the page .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the help.

The scripts works like this. Have a custom field to store the count.Each time the particular post/article is opened, it starts counting. The function knows exactly which post gets the credit for the views, as it is based on post id which is unique to each post. The implemented code is in the link http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-track-popular-posts-by-views-in-wordpress-without-a-pl...

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Just for curiosity did you implement any filter in your GA view?