Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Pageviews and goal completions were X is one of the previous pages

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I was hoping someone could help me with this query I am struggling with. 

There are two things I am looking for:

Number of views of a group of pages on the site (e.g. all that fall under /example/) where our homepage, which comes through as just '/', is one of the previous pages viewed? (although not necessarily viewed directly before the /example/ page)?

The second is similar, but how do I view the number of conversions (of a specific goal, e.g. bag purchased) where the homepage (again coming through as '/') is one of the previous steps?

Is anyone able to help me please? I'm out of ideas now!

Thanks any advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pageviews and goal completions were X is one of the previous pages

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Pegal assuming you have already created a Content Group and a Goal Conversion, the report should be pretty straight forward. Create a custom report with the metrics and dimensions you want included in your report, be sure to include "Unique Views 1(Content Group 1)" and "Goal 1(Goal 1 Conversion Rate)" again assuming those are the groups you want and in the filter create and "Include" were "Page" "Regex" "/example/" and add another filter "Include" were "Previous Page Path" "Exact" "/" give it name save it and test it out. I preffer Flat Table views for my custom reports but you can do the same in either Explorer or Map Overlay as well. Try this and let me know if it gets you close we can always adjust.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply. I do already have goals set up but not content grouping. Does this mean that I could only report on data going forward from now as I do not have content grouping set up for /example/ yet?

Thanks again for your help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Another quick query.... all part of the same project...

I have a consistent goal (a "register here" button) that appears across multiple pages on the site. To filter down as to which page each click took place on, which of the following methods would be correct (unless both are!):

Method 1
1. Create an advanced segment where conditions are: sessions include event label exactly matching "register here"
2. Go to "All Pages" and the number of unique pageviews for each page will be equal to the number of unique Apply Now clicks that took place on this page

or

Method 2
1. Go to Events - Events Label and filter to "register here"
2. Add to Secondary Dimenson - pages. The number of unique events (i.e. clicks on the button) is then filtered by the page they occurred on

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
I am pretty sure content grouping does not start collecting data the day it is created but can reach back and group the data from historical records as well.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Try them both and see what the differences are in page views, keep in mind that segments deal with sessions so if at any point in the session someone clicked on the "register here" button all pages during that session will show up in the pageview counts. I think you will get better results using method 2.