Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Pages viewed by return users from specific campaigns

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I'm looking to review what pages users view who have arrived via a campaign and then later returned. I am doing this to try and get a fuller picture of the impact of campaigns, as some channels such as display have a high bounce rate, so I want to capture which of these channels (if any) still generate users who later return to explore the website in more depth.

Would the best way to do this be:

- set up a segment using the "sequences" option

- change filters to "include - users" and "sequence start - any interaction"
- Step 1: source medium exactly matches: *insert source / medium here" 

And then apply this filter and view pages in behaviour?

I hope this makes sense! Thank you in advance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pegal,

Yes, quite so - keep using a "users" segment, but skip "sequences" in this case. An ordinary "conditions" segment does the job.

Alternatively, you may use the "top conversion paths" report in "multi-channel funnels" with relevant conversion, path lengths "all", type "all", 90 days and source/medium path - filtered by the source/medium of interest. Here you see where your campaign fits into the range of actual customer journeys on your website, i.e. which customer touch points have been occurred before or thereafter.

Best, Christoph

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply, I will do that then. Should I only want to use sequences then if I was wanting to segment users who visited via the campaign where it was their first visit (and setting sequence start to first interaction instead of any interaction)? 

Thanks for the top conversion paths info. In this case I'm focusing on pages viewed for more info on behaviour as the conversions for this particular campaign occur off the website, but I will try and conversion paths more for future campaigns with trackable conversions Smiley Happy  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Sequence segments are more suited to users that have been visiting a sequence of certain pages in a special time order, one before the other - see [1, 2] for detailed info.

[1] http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/04/04/sequence-segments-more-accurate-reporting/

[2] http://online-metrics.com/how-to-leverage-sequence-based-segments-in-google-analytics/

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you, I will read those links. Is there another way then to view what pages users visit on their return visit only after visiting the website via a campaign?

sorry for all the questions! 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You're welcome - that's the very reason for a forum :-)

Add a conditions session segment with "User Type exactly matches Returning Visitor".

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So in advanced segments, just:

Filter - Users 

Source / Medium exactly matches XXX
and
User Type exactly matches returning visitor

But would this exclude users who were new visitors when they initially visited via the campaign?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I think so, yes.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ah okay! I'll stick with your first suggestion then.

Thanks for your help!