Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Pages per session goal vs Behavior report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, 

I'm new to posting here, sorry if I violate conventions. 

I know comparing one part of GA with another can be tricky but I did it anyway. 

This is the background to my question: 

I set up visitors going to more than one page/screen as a tracking Goal. I get a Goal report of how many people saw more than one screen per session in Aquisition -> Search Console -> Landing Pages. I did this to get a quick view of how many people were visiting more than one page on my site. 

Then I wanted more detailed information so I started looking at the Behaviour Report to see where people who went to a second page went. 

So, my question is this: 

Why is the number of people who went to a second page according to my goal tracking so much higher than the number of people who went to a second page according to my Behaviour Report? I find this in Behaviour -> Site Content -> All pages -> Navigation Summary

I think the answer is that both are tracking a different thing but I can't find a simple explanation of how the two things are different.

Thanks. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
A comparison isn't being made of the same things

1) 
Landing Pages
Landing pages are the page where someone enters the site, the first pageview hit of a session only.

All pages
These are pageviews that occur anywhere throughout a visitor's session.

2) 
Acquisition -> Search Console -> Landing Pages
Only relates to visitors that have come from google/organic (web traffic)

Behaviour -> Site Content -> All pages
Is looking at visitors from all source/mediums, including google/organic images, video, maps etc, not just a concentration of google/organic (web traffic)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply and extending my knowledge of what is going on in my reports. 

However, the number of people viewing more than one screen according to my Goal Tracking report in Aquisition -> Search Console -> Landing Pages says over 500 people who landed on Page A 'viewed a second screen'. 

But when I go to look at Behaviour -> Site Content -> All pages to see where the people who visited Page A went next and totalled the number of visits to next pages from Page A I only get about 200 next page views. 

So, if they are going to a 'second screen' why can't I see where they went? 

My suspicion is that I am comparing two different things but I can't find a tight enough definition of 'second screen' in Goal Tracking to find out why the numbers don't match. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Are you tracking a website or an application?
Screenview relates to application tracking and the tracking code needs to be configured to send screenview hits, instead of pageview hits if that is the case.

I set up visitors going to more than one page/screen as a tracking Goal. I get a Goal report of how many people saw more than one screen per session in Aquisition -> Search Console -> Landing Pages. I did this to get a quick view of how many people were visiting more than one page on my site. 

This report is only showing you data in relation to what is imported from search console, not your whole website.

Good article here regarding Next page path via AnalyticsEdge

http://help.analyticsedge.com/googleanalytics/misunderstood-metrics-next-page-path/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here