Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Pages / Session

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm looking at the Landing Pages report and I see that a page of mine has a low bounce rate, but only 1.44 pages/session. If there's a low bounce rate, then shouldn't the pages/session be greater than 1? It doesn't make sense. If they aren't bouncing and they aren't going to another page, then what are they doing? Do they just leave their browser open until it times out?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pages / Session

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Pages per Session is the average depth (number of pages) that a user views during a session, in this case since you are filtering by Landing Pages it should be indicating the average number of pages viewed during a session when someone lands (enters) on this page with this page. It is not inclusive of all traffic to this page. Since you most likely have a significant number of visits to this page that are not first landing on this but rather navigating to it from another your bounce rate overall is low.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand. So you're saying that when I view the Landing Pages report - that report is only giving me stats for when a page was landed on. So therefore if the page depth is 1.44 and the bounce rate is 28% then that's for all visits to the page, not just Landing Page stats?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lindsay O
March 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I did a quick custom report to see what would happen if I tracked a single page for a single day inside of GA in my custom report the page /default.aspx was selected and when viewed as the Landing Pages it says bounce rate 32.55% Pages/Session 4.73, looking at that same page overall my bounce rate is still 32.55% but my Pages/Session are 1.27. I isolated my data to a single day (yesterday) and to that single page. So to me this means that if the persons starts off on my home page they are viewing 4.73 pages but overall if my home page is viewed during a session they are viewing 1.27 pages per session. My pageviews are the same as are my Sessions. So the only difference is where they start from. Now I can explain this as my Home Page when started from is designed for the user to make a series of choices to get to the data they came from so I expect them to visit more pages, I can use my Vistor Flow to see how they navigated. But my site is also designed so that I dont expect a lot of people to start on my Home Page but to come in via Organic Channels and in that case they go directly to the content they are looking for and they may hit the Home button just to see what else is available to them. Again if I view Vistor Flow I can see that they Land on a different page and then Navigate to the Home page for some reason.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!