Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

PageDepth 1 and PreviousPagePath entrance are not the same, reporting on metrics of landing pages

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm trying to build reporting based on landing pages only. You would think I could use PageDepth==1 for this or PreviousPagePath==(entrance) and that these two dimensions would yield similar results.

Below you can see a case where this is not true by a large margin. Does someone have pointers for me what causes PreviousPagePath to be set to (entrance) while it is appearantly not the first page in the session? I tried to reproduce this by visiting the website via direct and re-entering the website through organic. That 2nd pageview-hit did actually had as PreviousPagePath (entrance), but so was PageDepth set to 1 (and not 2).

Setup:

custom-report.jpg

Results:

pagedepth-vs-entrance.jpg

PageDepth is also reset by the session time out (30 minutes), isn't it?

This data is from a Classic GA account.

The specific 404 pages I was looking for when filtering for "entrance" are clearly 404 pages that currently are only accessible through organic results. But when filtering for PageDepth==1, I get only 70% of the the results.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aldert B
March 2017

PageDepth 1 and PreviousPagePath entrance are not the same, reporting on metrics of landing pages

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

To answer my own question: PageDepth is a session scope dimension and doesn't split the pageviews into a sequence of visited pages. (What I needed).

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Friendly bump :+)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aldert B
March 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

To answer my own question: PageDepth is a session scope dimension and doesn't split the pageviews into a sequence of visited pages. (What I needed).