Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Page load times

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using GA on a Shopify site and seeing very high bounce rate, and what look to be high page load times (4 secs on average, which seems high to me). Two questions emerge:

1) Is a 4 sec page load time high?

2) Do my bounce rates include situations where the user call the page but doesn't wait around til the page fully loads? If, for ex, 20% of users left after waiting 2 secs, would they be counted as "bounced" or not?

Thanks

Charlie

Page load times

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Are you referring to page load time or the time on page metric?

Page load times

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Charlie,

"Do my bounce rates include situations where the user call the page but doesn't wait around til the page fully loads?"

Yes it is counted as Bounce Rate .

If, for ex, 20% of users left after waiting 2 secs, would they be counted as "bounced" or not?"

Yes , it will be counted as Bounce.

Thanks..

Page load times

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If you run your site though Google Insights (Page Speed) what is it saying?

Page load times

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

the page load metric in GA (vs time on page)

Page load times

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It gives me a 68/100 for mobile and an 85/100 for desktop. When I contacted Shopify support about that, they said it was "good enough" but that I could implement the additional steps the tool recommends if I wanted to speed up the rendering. Issue is that I'm not very technical and the whole reason I'm using Shopfiy is not to have to deal with redirect, image-loading, etc issues. 

Is 4 seconds good, ok, or bad? Based on Kissmetrics and other online sources I'm reading, I'm probably losing 30-40% of potential conversions with a 4 sec delay. But Shopify is saying it's fast enough. 

Page load times

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I wouldn't say it's great really. Trying running it through https://gtmetrix.com as well and see what you get. You could also run some of your competition through there and see what they score. If they're loading faster than you, then I wouldn't say your speed is "good enough"

Page load times

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What is your bounce rate?  What pages or page are they exiting on.  If you want to send me your domain I can take a look if you would like.