Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Our "Search Destination Page" appears to always be the same as the "Destination Page"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're trying to identify where users go after the submit search terms to our site search.

When view our Site Search > Pages > Search Destination Page the results always show our results page only.

For example if we search on the page:

/search

The Destination Page appears as:

/search?q=search+term

and our Search Destination Page values are always:

/search?q=search+term&x=1&y=20&q=search+term

I'm just wondering if we've set up our custom google search incorrectly? We are using ga.js version of Google Analytics still.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jason

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Our "Search Destination Page" appears to always be the same as the "Destination P

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Jason so the problem most likely lies within your Views settings so lets look at two areas go to Admin-->View Settings
Look in th box that says "Exclude URL Query Parameters" and tell me what you have their if anything, next look at the box that says "Query parameter" and tell me what you have their.
In my settings I do not exclude any query parameters I like to see if someone is trying to find parameters that might allow then unauthorized access, and in my query parameter box I simply have a q nothing else just a q.
Before making any changes lets just see what you have.

Re: Our "Search Destination Page" appears to always be the same as the "Destination P

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just have the "q" listed in the "query parameter" and the "Exclude URL Query Parameters" is not checked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm wording if I need to take a step back...

Our implementation is as follows:

1) Created a google custom search form and placed on a page called /search

2) Created a simple search tool bar in our website's header which is using a basic html form using GET to submit the key words to /search?q=<keywords>

3) The google custom search automatically reads the q parameter from the URL and then calls google directly and displays the results there.

I'm wondering if this is a non standard deployment and if so may be adding a step and messing up our analytics. 

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Could be I was thinking this was built into your application not using an external your parameters sound like they are configured correctly may want to try #q as the query parameter is that not what Google uses.