Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Our pageviews are suddenly lower

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All:

I'm running into a curious issue that I can't figure out so asking for help.

We've had Analytics running on our website for a few years now (www.nyas.org), it's a no frills installation at this point, particularly given that we're soon going to launch a new site. But it's been working fine to deliver basic stats on sessions, views, time on site, etc.

We regularly need to report to funders on the total views to specific pages/content on our site. 

An earlier employee used to gather these stats by going to Behavior / Site Content / All Pages and then searching for the path to the particular page she needed numbers for and recording the number.

Example page: http://www.nyas.org/Publications/Ebriefings/Detail.aspx?cid=1a2a9318-cc80-43d2-9626-055982cd5c67

A new employee came in and is trying to collect stats following the same path, but when we look at the reports today for past periods (we're looking for totals across a calendar year), the numbers showing up today are consistently about 1/4 lower than the old numbers, across every page we look at.

We went back to the old employee, who was very thorough and confirmed her methods to make sure we were all using the same method and we are. And the difference is consistent, it's not one or two typos on her part, when we look at the 2015 numbers today, they are consistently, for 20 different pages, about 1/4 lower than what she recorded when she collected the stats in early January of 2016.

I've also confirmed that for all the reports we're looking at Analytics is reporting 100% of stats.

Why are the numbers lower? Did Google change the methodology for counting in the past 12 months in such a way that numbers are lower today and into the past?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

-Alexis

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Our pageviews are suddenly lower

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

You have a popular site.  Are you looking at sampled data? https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192

You may see sampled data if your selected date range has more than 500k visits and you are running a report which is not pre-aggregated or applying an advanced segment.  For example, I've noticed people running into this if they are using advanced segments to remove GA spam.

Pages   Analytics.png

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for taking the time to reply Philip. I'm used getting that yellow sampling note when I pull multi-year reports, but we're not seeing it on this particular report, so I was operating under the assumption that we're looking at the real/full data. Analytics always tells you they're sampling, right? In which case, I believe we should be seeing the full stats.

See partial screenshot of sample report below of 2015's stats for the sample page noted in my original note.

Thanks again.

-Alexis

ScreenshotGASampleReport1.jpg

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

That doesn't appear sampled.  Have you compared by channel? Do you have a raw profile and one that is filtered?   

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our filters haven't changed at all in the time since the prior employee, so there hasn't been any shift there.

And yes, agreed, nothing would indicated that the report is sampled.

It remains a bit of a mystery.

Thanks again for replying,

Alexis