Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Our custom UTMs are not showing up in any fashion in our Google Analytics Reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

We recently made a lot of custom UTMs to better track our lead sources except we don't see any of the UTMs in GA. On the social side we use CoSchedule to plan our posts and CoSchedule automatically posts to Facebook for us. One thing we noticed is that CoSchedule automatically makes any link a bitly link when posting. Would this attribute to our issue? Yes, the link URL shows the same UTM parameters we set. I know this only applies to our social utm problems but any light you can share would be appreciated.

*We used the Google UTM Building for our URLs - source/medium/campaign*

2 Expert replyverified_user

Our custom UTMs are not showing up in any fashion in our Google Analytics Reports

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It does not matter where the link travels or through what services as long as it does not change. Important part is when your page is loaded that it actually has the UTM parameters in place and the tracking code is up and running.

Can you verify that the parameters are present when your site is loaded and that the tracking code is working?

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Remember that the UTM parameters will not actually appear in the page reports - they are automatically stripped away by GA so you don't get duplicate page reports. Are you looking in the campaigns report in GA?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok interesting. Yes, we were looking in all pages report. So within the campaign reports how will I be able to attribute the specific UTM to page views? 

I'm am not the one who set up the UTMs. I recently came on board to start the metric tracking. When you create a UTM do you also need to create a campaign and assign the UTM to it? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jared J
June

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

the UTM parameters create the campaign... When ever new value is registered from campaign variable it is shown in the campaign report as a campaign

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok that makes sense. So the issue I see is that the campaign parameter in the UTM does not show up in our Campaign report (Acquisition-Campaigns-All Campaigns). 

People have visited the UTM page. We posted on Facebook and we can see through Insights all of the clicks, but we need to be able to run reports for all UTMs. Social sites and non social sights so we can't just use Facebook's data. 

Any reason why the campaign wouldn't show up in our reports? Thank so far with all of your help. Learned a lot just from this thread.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

If the UTM parameters are not showing up then the reasons could be:

- parameters being stripped away by, for example, a redirect or transition between http and https sites

- filters in place on the view which are modifying the parameters

A simple check is that you use the real time reports and see what happens when you click on the link with the UTM parameters - does the correct source/medium and campaign appear? 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.