AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Organic search traffic dropped to zero over night

K A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
K A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My sites organic traffic dropped to zero overnight. Can anyone suggest some reasons?

www.ttro.com

I did some research and some of the common issues do not apply:

1. No site redesign was done.
2. There are no filters on that particular view.
3. I have checked the tags and they are working fine.
4. Webmaster tools indicates there was still search traffic (but could be AdWords campaign).
5. AdWords campaign started around the same time but was sending traffic to a subdomain.
6. Site is visible on search engines if a search is done
7. Tags are workingTags.PNG

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author K A
January 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Great that you found an explanation. Have you set up alerts? They can give some warning if this happens again.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Webmaster tools does not show the last 2 days - if you're not aware of that.

Quick trouble shooting tip - make an organic search and visit the site, what does your visit have as attribution in the real time reports, and then later in the standard reports?

Also, has there been an increase in direct visits at the same time that organic disappears?

I notice you are using GTM - are there any rules you have created there which may cause this to happen?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

K A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
K A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks John.

So, direct has taken the same slump. If I create an organic search (both on our network and off - although I do not have IP filters on one instance) there is no real time records but it does record as an organic hit. 

But the last couple days, it's just been our testing that's being picked up. It's like our tracking code is broken (but then it wouldn't record anything else). 

Nevermind. Our dev accidently removed it from the all the pages. It was just on some. 

Thanks for the help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author K A
January 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Great that you found an explanation. Have you set up alerts? They can give some warning if this happens again.

K A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
K A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll do that! thanks again