Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Organic Search & Paid Search Sessions not appearing in GA - BUT - I can receive Direct, Social etc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Strange occurrence over the last few days - our Organic and Paid search sessions, and things like Goals have dropped off a cliff, and are not even being reported now.

Our GA code is installed correctly on site, and it's weird that GA is picking up other session data, just not Paid or Organic Search results.

Appreciate any insight or feedback.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Organic Search & Paid Search Sessions not appearing in GA - BUT - I can receive Direct, Social etc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you checked to see if there are any messages in your Search Console? The drop could be because of some Manual Actions (penalties) on your domain. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Buddy, our Search Console has shown a few things:

1) Search Traffic > Search Analytics - We are getting on average  Clicks every day.  However in Analytics, there are 0 recorded Sessions. 

2) Adwords is recording Clicks but no sessions or bounce rate (as attached)

3) I did check Search Console - thanks for the Heads up - and it has identified that there is malware detected, BUT then when trying to find where, it gives no locations on the site of malware.

So 2 x Issues I think:

1) Clicks aren't recording as Sessions - why would this be the case

2) Detecting where malware is on site (which I'll jump onto as a seperate issue now)

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Have you added any filters to the view you are looking at? Have you an unfiltered view you can compare with?

Also, has your paid search tracking (I'm assuming adwords) been correct from the start? Redirects or customisation of the tagging can cause them to appear as organic. If you then paused or stopped your adwords campaign then this could cause the effect you are seeing. Is it all organic, or just some? If just some, then check which landing pages are suffering and whether it is new or returning visitors.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

The only filter we have is an IP exclusion filter.

AdWords was tracking correctly from the start, and when we go into the AdWords report, it says that there are clicks, but zero sessions.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

clicks but zero sessions can indicate that a redirect is stripping away the gclid parameters which rebuckets the visits as something other than adwords (direct, or possibly organic). This may be part of your problem. I'd suggest you check that your destination URLs actually match what you have on your website.

This thread covers this in more detail: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Clicks-but-no-sessions/td-p/51225...

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.