Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Old pages showing in my analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This may be hard to explain but I'll try to nutshell it. Long before I was hired at my current company, a third-party designed our website. By the time I was hired it was old so I was tasked with creating a new one. So I got hosting I got a CMS, I built a new site. I adjusted the DNS's and domains. All that jazz. So the new site is live. I was using a personal gmail account to gather google analytics for the old site. I wanted a fresh view of the performance of this new site so I created a new Google account and attached it to the new site. 

Our website is (and was) https://captioncall.com

My problem is, my 'new' analytics is showing old pages hosted on the old server. I don't want those to show up in my analytics. When I look at the links in the analytics to those pages, they go to a 404 error page on my new site. Those pages are not available anymore... so why are they showing up in my analytics and how do I stop them?

Sam S.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Old pages showing in my analytics.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for getting back to me... To answer your question:
host name: captioncall.com (Is that what you mean?) Our site is hosted at 100TB.
Just for one of the pages involved (dead page, not live on the internet anymore)... /Careers/Communications-Assistant.aspx
bounce rate: 48.15%
exit percentage: 53.12%
average time on page: 00:00:42

Those numbers are horrible. Remember: I have only had the analytics turned on for a couple of days. Thoughts?

Also, the Google account I set up for this is captioncallwebmaster@gmail.com. Just in case you need to know.
Sam S.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Samuel did you create a new GA account with an entirely new UA number or did you just change the user information for the existing GA account, if you only changed the user information then you are picking up historical data. In addition if you created an entirely new UA number (a new GA tracking account) did you copy the new code to each of the pages on your new site, if not then you are still looking at historical data. I suspect that you did not create a new GA account but instead just added a new user to the existing account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I created a brand new GA account. For the old site I was using my personal account... samueljaysumpter@gmail.com

For this new one I created a new one called... captioncallwebmaster@gmail.com
So it generated a new ID for me. I think I may just have it implemented wrong or I missed a step.

Are there some instructions somewhere on how to add the new code to ALL pages? I believe you are right, I feel like I am picking up historical data.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you - Do you think if I get my code on all my pages the analytics will stop reporting that historical data?

Sam S.