Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Old emails = New sessions (WHY?)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Emails sent via Campaign monitor

View reports via GA > Acquisition > Campaigns

Reports indicate 'new' sessions months after emails have been sent

View analytics in Campaign Monitor

Reports indicate lower or 0 sessions in months after emails have been sent

Where is GA pulling these reported numbers from? Logically, no one is entering site via 'old' emails, but GA tells a different story...

Ga reports new sessions as well as e-commerce conversions for this period...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle S
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can't say for sure without examining your Analytics but more than likely, it comes from Bookmarked visits.  First, a Visitor uses the Email link then secondly, Bookmarks their landing page.  

Each time they come back and use the bookmark, the utm_source and other tags fire again recording a new session.  Especially if the person has cleared their cache over the past 6 months.

Hope this information helps with your issue.  

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle S
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can't say for sure without examining your Analytics but more than likely, it comes from Bookmarked visits.  First, a Visitor uses the Email link then secondly, Bookmarks their landing page.  

Each time they come back and use the bookmark, the utm_source and other tags fire again recording a new session.  Especially if the person has cleared their cache over the past 6 months.

Hope this information helps with your issue.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Cedric!

This makes sense, what should I look at to confirm this? When you say 'bookmark', does this mean the user adds the bookmark or simply that when they type the start of my website it auto-fills..? If that makes sense?

Cheers

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Makes perfect sense and yes, auto-fills, browser bookmarks or anything that saves the intact URL can cause this issue.  To test this theory, examine your Landing Page reports within GA's Behavior>Site Content section.  The Destination links will still have the intact utm tags (unless you've filtered them out).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Cedric. I will look into this, much appreciated.