Analytics
4.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Obtain source data when UTM parameters aren't present (organic and direct visits)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

We have hidden form fields in some of our forms that append our lead records in our internal CRM with details about where leads come from (Paid Media, Organic, etc.).  These hidden fields align with the UTM standards of source, medium, etc. If there are UTM parameters present, those details are sent through the hidden fields with the lead record. We are looking to provide these details, via the Google Analytics script/cookie, when UTM parameters aren’t present (like in the instance of an organic or direct visit).

So – the use of the old GA script is not for analytics tracking but rather to determine source data and send that through when a form is completed.

Does anyone have any insight on how I can acquire more source data when UTM parameters aren't present?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Obtain source data when UTM parameters aren't present (organic and direct visits)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If UTM parameters are absent but were able to pass cookie information such as client/user id to your CRM along with UTMs, you can have a bit of code on your page query the user's user id against your CRM, pull the related UTMs and populate the campaign fields in the GA tag.

This requires quite a bit of technical help but is definitely doable, with the caveat of privacy regulations in your territory.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Julien,

Thank you for the response. It's greatly appreciated.

Do you know of any helpful articles about this tactic that I can reference, and pass along to my developers?

Again, thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bryan S
November 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan,

Instead of using GA script/cookie to get the referrer information, it's possible to extract that directly from the browser. 

You'll find that this article does exactly that. It also provides you with a script that captures not only the UTM information, but also the landing page, referrer, number of visits, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm the author of the article and the script.

Hope this helps.

Puru Choudhary

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Puru,

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you for your help!