Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Number of views longer than 5 minutes?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

We would like to track the number of views longer than 5 minutes on specific pages (we call those meaningful views). Being primarily content-driven, this is an important metric for us to keep track of.

This seems like this should be possible: we created a segment for sessions where a user spends >5 minutes on the pages of interest and the engagement report details the distribution of time on page. However, these both have pitfalls.

The number of pageviews within a segment is higher than the number of meaningful views. The number of sessions is lower than the meaningful views (a session can have multiple). The engagement report does not allow for narrowing on only specific pages and measure session-, not pageview-, duration.

One option would be to create a new view, with a filter only letting through the pages we would be interested in and looking at the engagement report there. The downfalls of this are that this still doesn't measure pageview duration, and that there is a lack of historical data.

As of recently, we also trigger an event after 5 minutes on the relevant pages, making the event count our meaningful views count.

Is there a way to get historical measures of this number? and, tangentially, a cleaner way to do so?

Thank you Smiley Happy

-Olivia

Is there anyway

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

You could export the data in to excel and then filter it, I rarely look at data inside the GA UI any more I use Tableau, Qlik, and Power BI along with excel. Qlik and Power BI both have free fully functional desk top versions you can download.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian B!

Thank you for your prompt response - however, i unfortunately do not quite understand what you mean. What data should i export and filter? As far as i can tell, there is no combination, in the UI, API or otherwise, that lets me get to the number of pageviews above 5 minutes.

Best,

Olivia

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

A metric exists that says Avg. Time on Page when you break that down by the page dimension it will give you the time on that page, if you want to get even more precise you can use jquery and some java events by modifying this model for capturing scrolling http://scrolldepth.parsnip.io/

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Or you can use the time on page metric forgot all about it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome, thank you!

I don't know how i missed that metric: i kept finding the average time on page, which wasn't really helpful...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I reacted to fast, i'm sorry.

Time on page is a metric, but it is the cumulative time spent on the page.

Basically, the issue here is that i want to know the number of pageviews that lasted longer than 5 minutes, historically. (We now have an event that fires when that happens, but we can't modify the past...) I can get to the Average Time, the cumulative time and i can count the number of sessions (not pageviews) longer than 5 minutes. All of these do allow me to establish rigorous, but wide, upper (number of pageviews within session containing meaningful hit) and lower (number of sessions containing meaningful hit) bounds.

However, the number i want to know if i can get to - historically - is the number of pageviews > 5 minutes. It is clear that Google Analytics has that number internally, i just cannot find how to expose it.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Olivia

Excuse me for a little off-top. Can you tell me how did you create the segment you've mentioned ("segment for sessions where a user spends >5 minutes on the pages of interest" (any particular page(s) )?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Absolutely! I created a Sequence Condition with one step.

<page matches criteria>, and

Time on Page, per hit, >= 300

Thank you,

Olivia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is absolutely cool! Thanks a lot for your answer!