Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Number of total Users differ: overview report window vs. export

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

The total number of Users reported in the window in the Audience>Overview report is different from the total when I export the data to .csv and sum the numbers up. The difference is quite large ~60K.

Only Users are misrepresented, not Sessions or Pageviews.

Any ideas why? Note, I'm simply exporting the data, not comparing to a custom report so no sampling occurring.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Number of total Users differ: overview report window vs. export

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
So USERS are based upon the time frame being viewed and the same holds true when you export Users. If in your UI you are viewing the last year you may see 1,000 user. When you export it lets say by the month your users can go up to say 1,250 because it is now being computed as how many unique users for each month as opposed to for the year, if you export by the day the number of Users will increase even more to lets say 1,500 and if for the same time period you export users by the hour the number will get even higher. See this link for a better understanding https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2934985?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian B,
Thanks for the post. I understand that Users are dependent on the time frame being viewed. I'm still confused why the total number shown in the the UI would differ from the total number when exported? If both the UI and the exported report are capturing data from the same time period, why would there be a discrepancy?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marty S
August 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Marty I will try and explain to the best of my knowledge here. The UI reports are usually broken into two part. The top part with the graph and the bottom part with multiple metrics. Both sections use the date range selected how ever how each section breaks that data down to arrive at the numbers varies. The bottom portion only looks at the date range so if looking at a year for your date range you would see the number of unique users for the entire year time frame. While the top portion which is the portion that gets exported has a secondary break down of time such as day, week, month it is this secondary break down that cause the number of users to vary. When the top portion is broken down by the secondary for example month it then has twelve time frames within the overall time frame being broken down by the larger range. So now users are still being broken down by the date range but inside this date range they are broken down and counted by the twelve months so now users are not be counted as unique on the entire date range but rather the secondary increament that was selected in my example that would be by the month. So a user that visits monthly would be counted 12 times as unique during the over all time frame while in the lower section of the report they would only be counted once. It is a little complicated to grasp but if you play with the export and date range you can see the effect this has on the numbers.

Set your over all date range to a single month and then export the data with the secondary time frame set to month, then export it the secondary time frame set to week then finally export with the secondary time frame set to day.

Let me know if still unclear and I will see if I can explain it better.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brian,
That is an extremely thorough explanation and the logic behind it now makes sense.
Thanks for taking the time to answer!