Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Not Pageview, not Pageviews per Session - raw hits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

How can I get the raw hits from a source? For example I have a campaign with a source that says they sent me 2000 clicks. I want to verify I received that many hits. I'm not concerned with if it's the same user twice or three times - I simply want to see that if they sent me 2000 clicks I received 2000 clicks regardless if it was the same user or 2000 diffferent users.

Thanks,

Jake

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

for raw hits from a source, probably best to check your server logs.

a server should track all hits to a page regardless of the person being opted in or out of any tracking or having a browser enabled with images, js or cookies etc.

clicks on a link will never give you the same # as to pageviews of a page in analytics?
they are two different things being tracked, 

and added to that, ppl are able to opt out of analytics tracking.

other things will also cause analytics to not track a pageview.. such as someone closing the webpage before the analytics tracking code has a chance to fire, or hitting the browser stop button to prevent the page from fully loading, or navigating to another site page very quickly.. or using a browser that has images, cookies or js disabled.. 

also if the site linking to yours is https .. and yours is http.. then unless specifically setup on their side to pass referra l data, that traffic will be seen as direct traffic.

Are you using custom campaign tagging parameters on the links to your website?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the reply. Yes we use UTM tracking for these campaigns. While I understand people may opt-out of analytics tracking, code may fire slow, etc. I assume there must be some basic way to validate clicks delivered are being recorded.

Let's say source x says they delivered 2000 clicks, so before I go about analyzing my data I want to be sure that we received that many clicks.

All other analysis is based on the assumption that if I'm looking at a source, and I know I've paid x amount for x clicks, I need to first be sure that I got those clicks or some percentage variance. 

Further to this, I'm assuming natural network issues, the closing of browser prematurely etc. is going to occur for any source. So if I have 5 sources I'll expect to see some normal variance, like 5%. But how will I know if source #4 isn't having some fundamental issue, or over reporting the clicks if I can't see this base data?

There has to be someway to verify that right?

- Jake

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Maybe i am missing something.. if so, i apologise

You're asking to verify that you got that many clicks.. but.. that isn't what analytics on your website is tracking. 

Anyhow, from the reading i have done though, up to 10% difference may be seen as normal.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here