Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Not All Clicks are being tracked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I look at my server logs for number of clicks on certain links I show one number and when I look at that same link in my google analytics dashboard I am showing less than half of the number of clicks.

How can I show so many clicks on my server logs and have such a large discrepancy on my analytics dashboard?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ryan,

Server logs track everything, bots, crawlers etc.  GA tracks users that use clients like Chrome or Firefox that fire JavaScript.   It's normal to see a large variation in the two data sources.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply however the links that I am referring to are only being tested by our team and not made public yet.

We have a PDF which has links embedded to our website.  Our team has tested multiple links and should be showing over 200 clicks on 10 links but GA shows 4 links being clicked once.

The links were set up internally by IT and housed on our internal server for our word press site.  The URLs have unique campaign identifiers upon hovering over and are redirected to our word press pages depending on the PDF link clicked.

Any idea why we would have so many tests on these links and such little GA feedback on them?

Thanks in advance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply however the links that I am referring to are only being tested by our team and not made public yet.

We have a PDF which has links embedded to our website.  Our team has tested multiple links and should be showing over 200 clicks on 10 links but GA shows 4 links being clicked once.

The links were set up internally by IT and housed on our internal server for our word press site.  The URLs have unique campaign identifiers upon hovering over and are redirected to our word press pages depending on the PDF link clicked.

Any idea why we would have so many tests on these links and such little GA feedback on them?

Thanks in advance

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Ryan,

The mystery deepens...  Smiley Happy  So tell me what exactly you are trying to track.   I say that because you cant detect clicks within PDF's.  You can; however, (and this is what I think you are doing) add custom campaign (AKA utm) params to the links to track these as a source/meduim/campaign -- and in this case -- content (link clicked). 

If that's what you are doing, then the data you see depends on your testing plan.  If these clicks occur while a session is still active (30 minutes) then you won't see multiple sessions.

Add some more detail and maybe we can figure this out.

-Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn