Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Normalizing URLs in Google Analytics reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question regarding Google Analytics URL normalization in reporting.

The situation is as follows. We have a number of pages whose URLs include an ID number and a URL slug, in the form /resources/123-with-a-human-readable-title. We'd like to normalize these URLs in such a way that the slug is ignored—that is, we want our reports to treat /resources/123-foo, /resources/123-bar, and /resources/123 as the same page, as long as they have the same ID number.

It is easy to do this for new GA data, of course, either with a search and replace filter or by adding custom GA tagging information to the pages in question. But we want to view our historical data this way. In other words, we'd like to do something like GA's existing report filtering, but with a search and replace filter instead of the simple matching filters that GA's reporting API provides. Is there any way to do that?

(I note that Google Data Studio can do exactly what I am asking for, but there seems to be no way to call Data Studio programmatically.)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Normalizing URLs in Google Analytics reports

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Marmen,

The functionality you seek is in GA360 Query time data import. 

As far as a solution for correcting moving forward you could also use data import.  That said, I always prefer to shape the hit before it reaches GA using something like GTM. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Normalizing URLs in Google Analytics reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marmen,

Please note correct spelling of my name. Smiley Happy

The functionality you seek is in GA360 Query time data import. 

I found that out after I posted. Unfortunately GA 360 is well beyond our budget as a company, so that's really not an option for us.

That said, I always prefer to shape the hit before it reaches GA using something like GTM. 

Sure, but that's of no use for historical data.