AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Next Page Path shows links that aren't possible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm looking at the Navigation Summary in Behaviour --> Site Content --> All Pages --> Navigation Summary. I want to find out which pages users visit after the homepage, so I'm looking at Next Page Path. However, some of the pages in that list aren't linked to from the homepage, so it wouldn't be possible for a user to go from the homepage to that page. Why do such pages still show up in the Next Page Path list? 

Thanks,

Ria 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ria, I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question, but I am in a very similar situation whereby the 'next page' cited isn't linked to on the page.  

If you have found an answer yet, do let me know!

Thanks,

Lynsey

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, no doubt analytics is a wonderful product from google but it still has some limitations.

Considering your scenario, there could be several reasons, 2 of them possibly could be: 

1) google bots: i suppose you have filtered your bots in views settings as this could be a bot navigating your website at a lightening speed.

2) it often happens that google analytics is not able to record every hit for example if a user lands on Page A and then follows a link to Page B and then immediately follows a link to Page C then it may sometimes skip the hit made for Page B and the user journey would be shown as Page A -> Page C