Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Need to see how many sessions my subdomains are driving to my root domain

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would like to see how many sessions/visits all of my subdomains are driving to my root domain. I have all of my subdomains in the same GA property as my root domain with filters setup to only show traffic to each specific hostname (i.e. - include traffic containing hostname subdomain.domain.com).

I am excluding self referrals at the property level (referral exclusion list contains my root domain). I also have the cookieDomain set to "auto" in Google Tag Manager.

What is the best way to see how many sessions/visits my subdomains are driving to my root domain?

Do I need to remove my root domain from the referral exclusion list, then create individual filters for each subdomain GA view to only include traffic to their hostnames?

Thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Bryan,

You can just create a segment in your rollup of all domain for any sessions (or users) that have been in a subdomain and then progress to the main domain.

Something like this:

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=Mtf4C8F8QtaCYxv22uqa7A

You'll need to adjust the patterns to match your site.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm having trouble accessing that template.

Also, what do you mean by "rollup of all domain"?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Bryan,

I meant your view that has all data in it from the TLD and from all sub domains.  

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Theo,

I appreciate your feedback/advice, but I'm still not quite sure I understand.

Is there an alternative way to get this data, or is this the only solution?

What if I remove my domain from the referral exclusion list, and then alter the GTM Universal Analytics tag by removing the cookieDomain = "auto"? Is this an option?

Other thoughts from anyone else?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hey Bryan,

You're tracking is ideal.  You want all of subs and main domain on the same tracker.  The referral exclusion is moot as your domain is excluded by default.  All that does is change any referrals from those sources to direct.  I would not change your tracking configuration in any way as the data you want is already being collected.  If you change your tracking you're going to lose the original source of traffic which will be overwritten as a referral from the subs.  The segment would just allow you to see users that follow the progression from sub to main.  

You could approach this in some other ways:

Custom Dimensions that flag a user as having visited or landed at a sub domain.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets

You could prepend the hostname to the uri using filters so that your content reports would have the subdomains included in your content reports and in user flow etc.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

The easiest way is to just create the segments.

More on segments here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the detailed information. So you think I should leave my domain in the referral exclusion list?

Also, I was able to add the custom segment template you provided me, but I'm not seeing any data - https://www.screencast.com/t/3mEcQRjW

Thoughts?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Bryan,

Yes I do.  Did you change the values in the segment to your sub domains and domain?

I've also solicited some other opinions for you.

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, I changed the values in the segments to match mine. For subdomains, I just entered the subdomain and didn't include anything after it. For example.domain.com, I entered "example". For my domain I entered "domain.com"

Looking forward to additional opinions/feedback/advice.

Thanks!

Re: Need to see how many sessions my subdomains are driving to my root domain

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Theo Bennett :-)

Hi @Bryan S :-)
I see in your initial post:

I have all of my subdomains in the same GA property as my root domain with filters setup to only show traffic to each specific hostname (i.e. - include traffic containing hostname subdomain.domain.com).

Did you leave your original default View without any filters applied to it?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here