Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Need to find IP address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use Google Analytics for my website, which used to track IPs, but I can no longer find this information.

I was sent an anonymous, threatening message via my website on 1/15/2016, and my website company is saying I can try to find the IP address of the sender through Google Analytics, as the website company "cannot" provide this information for me.

I need this IP address to report the incident to the proper authorities. Please help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need to find IP address

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kirsten :-)
The website company is incorrect in telling you that IP information can be found via Google Analytics.
It goes against the Google Analytics TOS to collect Personally Identifiable Information with it.
There is a good explanation of the GA TOS by Googler Justin Cutroni here:
http://cutroni.com/blog/2007/06/26/understanding-the-google-analytics-terms-of-service/

I've used analytics for a number of years and i may be wrong, yet i do not ever remember IP information 

being available in the GA reports

If you are reporting the incidence to the proper authorities, then they should be able to go via the correct legal channels to
get information such as server logs with IP information from your web hosting company if it's necessary for them

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

As a policy GA doesn't track IP addresses.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kirsten, a court order to your web hosting company should do it, as Bronwyn mentioned all the info is in the logs.