Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Need suggestions for cleaning up my Exit Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to Google Analytics and am looking for guidance working with my Exit Pages Report. 

I would like to share my report with you for recommendations on the best way to approach cleaning up the data so that the report will be more meaningful and actionable...for example, when I run my report, I get hundreds of dynamic pages that I would like to group, etc... I need guidance on the best way to look at the initial data, purge what is not meaningful so that the end result is a meaningful set of working data.

Please advise how I can share my report view otherwise I can send a .csv copy of my report..

All the best ,

NLC

Re: Need suggestions for cleaning up my Exit Report

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Norm,
you can use 2 different approach or a mix of them but you are the only one that can find the best solution because you are the only one that know what parameters are important for your analysis.

The first approach is used the option Exclude URL Query Parameters a the view level
using that you can remove all the parameters present on the url that are not useful for your analysis
Here a guide to look at
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/04/17/strip-query-parameters-google-analytics/

The second approach (if there pages that you want to group that has no url parameter but they are of the same kind) is using content grouping
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853423?hl=en
Pay attention if one page doesn't enter on the content grouping it will be insert into a group called not set system will not show the url.

Fil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Filtro- If I'd prefer not to add a filter or grouping at the view level as I'd like to be able to apply the filters as needed and the view level filters are not retroactive... Is this something I would be able to accomplish through creating a segment or filtering at the report level?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author norm c
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
You can use filter to join together the data of pages, but it will took an amazing amount of time, because to extract data of every group of page you need to create a filter and then apply another one to extract data of another group of pages.
Fil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Filtro -

This is helpful, much appreciated

All the best,

Norm C