Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Need help understanding traffic source of a specific page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to know where traffic are coming from to a specific page (Page X) on my website. I've managed to create two reports on this, but I don't understand the data.

• Both reports was created with Behavior -> Behavior Flow -> Site Content -> All Pages -> Page X
  • For the time period I set, Page X had 8884 visits.

Report 1 ( second dimension "Previous Page Path")
This report show from what previous page visits on my website lead to a visit on Page X

Report 2 ( second dimension "Full referrer")

This report show from what external page visits on Page X came from.

So far so good. Both reports give me great info.

Problem is, the sum of both report 1 and report 2 show 8884 respectively. As if 8884 on Page X visits came from a "Previous Page Path", and 8884 visits came from a "Full referrer" on an external webpage. This does not make sense to me. 

Shouldn't the total sum of report 1 and report 2 together give me 8884. As in some of the visits on page x came from an external referrer, and some came from a previous path on my website?

Help would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards

Pete

1 Expert replyverified_user

Need help understanding traffic source of a specific page

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Quick answer - previous page still has a referring source/medium i.e. they still have a source of traffic which referred them to your site, and to page of interest as well as the previous page.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.