Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Need an easy, fast way to view analytics for specific sets of pages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm with a major university law school. Within our school (and our website) we have several major programs. Each of these programs has their own pages within our top-level site.

It is critically important for us to be able to quickly view analytics (ANY analytics we find important) for specific sets (or groups?) of pages associated with each separate program.

I've been searching for a quick, easy way to set up custom reports (one for all of Program A's pages, one for all of Program B's pages, etc.)...and I'm astounded that Google doesn't provide an easy point-and-click way to do this!?

I've found some threads that detail using filters with RegEx...but this strikes me as ridiculously technical to do some incredibly basic and fundamental. I'm not a coder and have no desire to be...but I still need to set up these custom reports.

Is there any other way (other than RegEx) to do this? If not, then if I post the URLs for each specific set of pages here, could someone provide the exact instructions and RegEx code to set up the custom reports? (At this point I'd even be willing to pay someone to do it...though I'd still be astounded that I can't easily do it myself.)

As one example, our top-level domain is law.uoregon.edu. Here is the specific set of URLs I'd like to group together for one custom report:

/programs/conflict-dispute-resolution-masters

/explore/why-CRES

/explore/about-CRES

/explore/CRES-careers

/explore/CRES-exposure

/explore/CRES-tuition-and-financial-aid

/explore/apply-to-CRES-program

/explore/faqs

/explore/contact-us-CRES

/explore/visit-cres

In closing, it's important to understand that we don't tend to view every page in our entire law school website as one monolithic site—and therefore don't want to view analytics for the entire site. The law school (top-level domain) is like an umbrella, beneath which exist a dozen completely separate entities—each of which needs to be viewed separately (while all being under the same top-level domain).

My sincere thanks to whoever can help! :-)

Scott

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need an easy, fast way to view analytics for specific sets of pages.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

sure it's possible - what you need here is Analytics content groupings [1]. In this way, you can bundle together pages to page groups as you like. Consider the rule-set method using regular expressions for actual bundling. You can use the content groups then instead of pages in all page reports.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph. I did a bit of reading on Content Groups, and while they do look like they'd work, they're not retroactive (if I remember correctly)-they only show analytics from the time the group was created forward. That right? Still, that may be the best way to go.

I think what I need is to learn the basic RegEx to specify a filter with a series of pages (as shown above); I'm sure the info is online somewhere, I'm just hoping for a shortcut (only because I'm so crazy-busy!). Content groups could work well moving forward, but I need to show our individual program metrics looking back over the past 6-12 months too.

Scott

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Scott,

Indeed, they are retroactive only. Regular expressions aren't that tough [1] - basically, you just need the logical 'OR' (|) and a couple of round brackets. So, expression

^(/programs/conflict-dispute-resolution-masters|/explore/(why-CRES|about-CRES|CRES-careers|CRES-exposure|CRES-tuition-and-financial-aid|apply-to-CRES-program|faqs|contact-us-CRES|visit-cres))

should do the job in your case. Try it in the regular page-report filter first before applying to content grouping definitions.

Christoph

[1] http://www.lovesdata.com/blog/2014/regular-expressions-cheat-sheet/