Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Need Help Rolling up Duplicate Pages in Google Analytics for Reporting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client has duplicates of every page on their site, one with dynamic parameters and one with a text string. They have been told by their developers that there is no way to fix this in their CMS, so it falls on me to figure out how to report on it. Example URLs:

www.primr.org/subpage.aspx?id=4568
www.primr.org/membership/benefits/red/

My original plan was to build a custom flat table report to roll things up by page title, but there's too much duplication among page titles for that to work.

Is there any way to get GA to roll these two page versions (and all the others) together automagically? We have recently implemented Google Tag Manager if there's some way to pull in a unique identifier or something? I'm grasping at straws here I"m sure...let me know what other info you might need to help me figure this out!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need Help Rolling up Duplicate Pages in Google Analytics for Reporting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jake,

I'd suggest you to implement canonical URLs:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en#2

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Arnold - I appreciate it (and I'd love to) but I'm just looking for a way to just reflect it in Analytics...I'm not engaged for SEO.

Or would I be able to pull that canonical URL into a report?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

You cannot combine the recorded pages retroactively in GA.
Adding the canonical URL to the pages will tell Google what URL to index and the other version will be dropped so users will visit the preferred version and your tracking will be fine.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital