Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Navigation Summary - Incorrect Previous Path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! I have read about issues with next page path, but nothing about previous page path, so I am posting my question here.

I was looking at one of my client's blog posts in the navigation summary view. I am seeing previous page paths where the link does not "live". 

For example, the blog post's previous page path included the events page and the career page. Neither of those two pages can immediately access the blog post. There would be at least one other click in between to navigate to the blog, then the individual post. The posts do feed onto the homepage, but again, that would be at least one more click in between.

So, why do my results show these seemingly random pages as the previous path?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Navigation Summary - Incorrect Previous Path

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Geri,

Did you check that the intermediate page has correct tracking? You might use Google Tag Assistant Recordings [1] to verify.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6280771?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

I don't use Google Tag Assistant unfortunately. I feel confident that my tracking code has been implemented properly.

Thank you! Geri

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Geri,

I mean Google Tag Assistant (a browser add-on for debugging) not Google Tag Manager in case you mixed that up.

Christoph