Analytics
5.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey

We have 150 conversions in last 90 days with Google organic search queries and inside Analytics the terms all show as 'not provided'

After speaking with google on the phone, they advised to post here..

I was told this is a user privacy issue and all of those conversions would've came from one who is signed into a gmail or google account in Chrome.

We as staff for our company are always logged into google, and use chrome to put in our orders manually for sales as well.

What we are trying to figure out here is if its OUR ips/accounts that are triggering these conversions or not?

Please help

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It is a user privacy issue. Google Search no longer passes keyword information from organic search into analytics, same applies to a number of other search engines too.
For a time it did only apply to ppl logged into their Google accounts, now it applies to all google search data as google now defaults to secure search via https

Keyword: When SSL search is employed, Keyword will have the value (not provided).

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033173?hl=en

You could have your staff install something like analytics browser opt out.. so staff visits are not tracked by analytics at all.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have something to add to this. There are many tutorials online that teach you how to unlock the "not provided" keyword. It does help you understand where people are landing on your site.

We use Woocommerce to sell products. But when people checkout on our site, I guess through "not provided" source, we get "Woocommerce checkout page" as the referral/source of the sale. 

It looks something like this: np - /checkout/order-received/16412/mydomain.com?key=wc_order_30o3k2iup29djs

The "np - " is achieved by following steps like this: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/unlock-keyword-not-provided/

Is there a way to exclude the Woocommerce checkout page switching it from the "original" referral "np - "

I think the customer when he first landed on site stamped "np - [landing page url]" but then when he checks out it just switches it to the checkout page url.

Can someone please help with this? Thank you.

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I'd just like to pick up on your question regarding your data quality and potential for analyses. You definitely need to be able to identify your staff who make purchases on behalf of clients. This is because:

- if they represent a % percentage of purchases then your attribution data will be artificially skewed, particularly if you are staff are - for whatever reason - shown as coming from a campaign

- this is important data regarding how people - including your staff - are using the website. I can imagine a situation where being able to confidently say what % of online sales comes from staff on the website being of value in strategic decisions (this data may, of course, be available in your back-end)

- If these purchases are from clients who are on the telephone then the chances are that they are looking at the website when they make the call, in which case it would still be good to know attribution for their visit. Implementing some kind of call tracking could be an option. 

I'd very much recommend asking your developers to add some kind of label to your GA transaction hit (either a custom dimension or special transaction id, for example) when staff make a purchase - this way you can report total revenue for the website, but also segment it into sales from visitors and sales made by staff. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John, Thanks for your reply.

Would you have an answer to my question?

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Do you have cross domain tracking in place? i.e. if a visit starts on your site, moves to the payment site, and then completes a transaction that this is all treated as one session. The behaviour you're seeing with that particular hack would suggest that cross domain tracking is not place, which would explain why the landing page is given as the order received page. What do you transactions have as an attributing source? Do many of them have the payment site rather than direct, referral, organic etc?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply. Yes its an ecommerce site, so it uses Stripe and Paypal.

PayPal auto return URL has a utm_nooverride=1. I think Stripe does it automatically.

The issue is with these "hidden search terms" When buyer returns from Paypal or Stripe, their source of referral looks like this:

np - /checkout/order-received/16412/mydomain.com?key=wc_order_30o3k2iup29djs

Instead I want it to look like

np - landinpageurl.com

Would you have a solution.. Thank you.

(NOT PROVIDED) Keyword

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

If the modification is behaving as expected then it looks like a new session is being started when the visitor is returned from the payment sites. I'd recommend making some test purchases and see what happens to your session; you could visit your site via a link with test utm parameters and see if they are maintained after a purchase. Use GA debugger and tag assistant - with the recording function activated - to check what is going on. Like I say, it sounds like a cross domain issue - and it's hard to predict how your modification will behave under those circumstances. A good place to start would be troubleshoot whether cross domain tracking is in place and then what support your payment sites offer for supporting this.