Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mysterious drops in GA realtime statistics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys,

For many days, we are experiencing a mysterious drop in Google Analytics real time statistics for a web site having around 2M unique visitors in a day and 6-7TB of traffic. See following images:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2zzpwld.png
http://i67.tinypic.com/2qcqyz6.jpg

The drop happens all on a sudden and lasts for 15-30 minutes and then vanishes. This happens 3-4 times in a day.

When the problem happens there is no drop in traffic received by the hosting server, no error logs, normal CPU and memory usage and site works fine and loads fast as usual. Only problem is that GA stats are missing out of the blue. Even if we could not find any problem with hosting, we tried many things like changing servers, network and even putting strong DDoS protection service. Nothing helped, GA drops continue to happen without any reason that we can find out.

Even if web site receives usual amount of network traffic and site loads fine during the GA drops, this is a serious problem as our business heavily depends on GA stats.

Kindly share your suggestions or thoughts to help us.

Thank you

Lijeesh

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mysterious drops in GA realtime statistics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Data or rate limits?
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/limits-quotas#overview
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Bronwyn,

Thank you for the reply.

Let me explain with an example. GA may be showing around 10,000 page views in real time stats for last few hours. Then all on sudden a drip/drop happen and page views are reduced to 1000-2000 (some times less than 100) for 15-30 minutes and then page views increase back to 10,000. When this dip happens, there is no decrease in traffic received by the hosting server, there is no errors logged, site works fine and loads fast as usual. This mysterious dip happens 3-4 times every day. Btw, we see following message on GA panel:

"Your data volume (159M hits) exceeds the limit of 10M hits per month as outlined in our Terms of Service. If you continue to exceed the limit, you will lose access to future data. Learn more"

Do you think this will cause the dips in real time page views?

A few months ago the data volume had exceeded 500M, but we did not have any problem at that time.

Thank you,
Lijeesh

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
There are a couple of things possibly at play here..
You are exceeding the monthly data volume for starters

Also did you read the page i linked to regarding rate limits?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,

I read it and I can see following on that page:

"If a property sends more hits per month to Analytics than allowed by the Analytics Terms of Service, there is no assurance that the excess hits will be processed. If the property's hit volume exceeds this limit, a warning may be displayed in the user interface and you may be prevented from accessing reports."

Does this mean that intermittent dips can occur on realtime pageviews when monthly data volume is exceeded?

Thanks,
Lijeesh

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I may be wrong but I would think yes..

however bare in mind too re the rate limits per tracker

Each tracker has a maximum limit for the number of requests it can send concurrently. The tracker also maintains a count of the number of concurrent hits that have been sent. As a hit is sent to Google Analytics, the count decreases by one. When the count is 0, the maximum limit has been reached, and no new requests are sent. Then over a small period of time, the count is increased back to its original limit, allowing data to be sent again.

If any of these limits are reached, hits will not be sent to Google Analytics servers, and the data will not be processed into reports.

ga.js:
Each ga.js tracker object starts with 10 hits that are replenished at a rate of 1 hit per second. Applies only to event type hits.

analytics.js:
Each analytics.js tracker object starts with 20 hits that are replenished at a rate of 2 hit per second. Applies to all hits except for ecommerce (item or transaction).