Analytics
2.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

My site has no dead links bUT Google Analytics says that it does

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site (dwsolo.com) has been thoroughly checked for dead links and there are none. However, Google Analytics tells me that there are 404 and 403 errors. How can I persuade Google Analytics that the site is OK?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

BTW The errors that Google Analytics refer to relate to the site when it was hosted by a different company. When I moved the site (and domain and DNS info etc) I changed it quite radically. I have tried to get Google Analytics to scan the site as it now is, but it hasn't yet done so despite several requests. Any ideas?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

where exactly in report is GA showing, 404 exists?

screenshots please.

Re: My site has no dead links bUT Google Analytics says that it does

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply

I marked the errors as solved so there is no screenshot to provide at the moment. However, from memory the errors involved such things as 404s for pages from my now deleted Blog, pages from dwsolo.com, dwschorale.com and dwsmp3.com which were removed when I moved to the new host provider and also many 403 errors for folders (eg I always link to dwsolo.com/serif/index.html (and similar), not to dwsolo.com/serif/ but GA still reports dwsolo.com/serif/ and similar folder addresses as 403 (forbidden).

All of these errors appear to refer to the site as it used to be before I moved the domain and the server. 

I am updating my submitted sitemap every time that I change something on my site, but it seems that GA hasn't used it (digested it) yet.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK so here are a couple of examples of so-called 404s which GA has picked up. In all cases the pages in question are not included in my current site or sitemapcapture1.jpgcapture2.jpg

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is getting a bit confusing: the latest 404 reported by GA is inra.htm (www.dwsolo.com/inra.htm) According to my records that page ceased to exist back in 2008 during the redesign of my site at that time (you can find it on the Waybackmachine at archive.org for 2008). Why does GA pick up on 9 year old deleted files? The site has been redesigned three times since then and the sitemap is always updated.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please see my latest 2 messages. Any ideas? I am totally confused about this. GA appears to be referencing pages that I don't reference in the new version of my site and which, in some cases, haven't existed for several years. They should not be shown as 404 because there are no internal links to them. My sitemap is updated all the time, so I don't understand where GA is getting its incorrect information from.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

GA has now started again with lots of irrelevant 404s and 403s. Nowhere on my current site are there links to these pages (which date back to previous versions of my site) so I don't understand where GA is getting them from. The sitemap is up to date so it can't be getting the irrelevant links from there and the backlinks to my site that I have found from a backlinks checker doesn't mention them either. Please advise.capture2.jpgcapture1.jpgPlease help

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David S
September

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @David S

The screenshots and reports you are mentioning are from Google Search Console.
This is not Google Analytics related.

For help and issues related to Google Search Console, Site indexing, Crawling and so forth, best place to ask is on the

Google Webmaster Central Help Forum 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bronwyn

Have done so....