Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

My domain/url does not appear in Audience-Technology-Network Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the newby question. I am starting to apply the fixes shown at https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/. The first fix is to apply the "include" filter for valid host names. My domain name/url does not appear in the above referenced report. I'm think my website is being tracked. (When I use a different browser to browse my website, I can see my tracks in the Real-Time reports, including the page I am browsing.) Have rechecked my tracking code for each page on the website. I am using PiWik, but supposedly PiWik and Google Analytics can coexist. Any insights will be appreciated.

Max

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Max,

Are you saying that you don't see your own domain name in the Audience > Technology > Network > Hostname report? What else are you seeing there?

Best, Christoph

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Another way to verify whether the code is firing is by using Google Tag Assistant (chrome extension) and/or Google Analytics debugger (another chrome extension)

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@webfield

>> Are you saying that you don't see your own domain name in the Audience > Technology > Network > Hostname report? What else are you seeing there? <<

Correct, my own domain name does not appear in that report. I do see: blog.google, (not set), www.foxnews.com, mashable.com, google.org, lifehacker.com, techcrunch.com, books.google.com, mail.google.com, and moz.com. FWIW I don't have a dedicated server. I use a hosting service called LunarPages. I will try the Chrome extension(s) suggested by John W. However, as I mentioned, I can see my location and page changes in Real-Time as I browse my site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, according to Google Tag Assistant and the Google Analytics Debugger, my pages all have the proper tags.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

As suggested earlier, can you send a screen shot? In the network report, you should see the majority of visits coming from your own domain.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Max,

that's indeed quite unusual for a hostname report. It would mean that your tracking code has been implemented on all these websites - which isn't the case for sure. It looks more like a referrer report at Acquisition > All traffic > Referrals.

If you insert 'Page' as secondary dimension (second column) in hostname report - do you actually see your own page URLs together with these external hosts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, this is really embarrassing. I went in tonight to take a screen shot, and my own site was there. It was not there for the three previous days, honest. So sorry for the wild goose chase.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

No problem - glad to hear that everything is fine now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This happened to us just now, turned out we have two google analytics ids, the real one and an old one, and I was looking at the wrong one.