Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

My Views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't tell it my own views are being counted. I am suspicious they are, because I get a lot more traffic when I am working on the site. Where do I look to see if I am being counted and how do I turn it off.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author pemongillo
March 2016

Re: My Views

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You need to check your IP address:
whatismyipaddress.com

and the add the IP as a filter.

Best practice is to have 2 different views for one property: One unfiltered and one with filters (actually 3rd would be to test those filters, to be on the safe side)

If your IP address is changing a lot you could create a page just for you and make sure that you visit that page every time you check your site. Then create filter based on that page.

Let me know if you need assistance with the filters
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Best way is to open Real-Time reporting and then load page with query parameter like example.com?foo=bar
If it shows there your hits are counted since Real-Time report obeys the filtering set up for your view
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Antti N. I guess I am starting to get left in the dust with terminology. I am sure Google Analytics is very sophisticated, but I am beginning to think its beyond me. The analytics on other sites I have developed in the past were always very straight forward. I believe Google Analytics is my only choice for my new Wix website.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really only understand your first action: open Real-Time reporting. I have no idea what you mean by load a page...where and how?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, it is counting my visits. Can't image why anyone would ever want that to happen. Now to figure out how to turn that off.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author pemongillo
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You need to check your IP address:
whatismyipaddress.com

and the add the IP as a filter.

Best practice is to have 2 different views for one property: One unfiltered and one with filters (actually 3rd would be to test those filters, to be on the safe side)

If your IP address is changing a lot you could create a page just for you and make sure that you visit that page every time you check your site. Then create filter based on that page.

Let me know if you need assistance with the filters
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK no I'm confused. What is the point of creating an IP address filter so
my views don't count in my stats it the IP address is continually changing?
I am right back where I started from because the address changed.

Paul Mongillo
Wide Awake Photography
www.wideawakephoto.com

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
If you don't have static IP-address I would urge you to create a page just specific for you and the start your visits to your own site always from that page. Then you can filter all visits including that page.
Like http://mysite.com/my-private-page.html

Other possibility is that you use one of numerous blocking add-ons like Ghostery or Disconnect.
This way you can prevent tracking code functioning when you are visiting your site and on other sites too for that matter...
--

My Views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi--

I have the same question but I am not a programmer. Where would I enter my IP address and how create the filter? Is it something I can do on my Audience Overview page on the GA? I have been using SumoMe and just learned it also had no way to indicate if the summary data referred to my own page views but instead combined my views with visitors--thus, the counts are deceptive.

Thanks for any help.

Regina

My Views

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

You have to go to Admin in your top navigation when you logged in to Analytics and opened your view.

Here is detailed information: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en

--